Sunday 27 February 2011

tipi odds and ends

As I mentioned in the previous blog, I do a bit of painting in oils and watercolour, have always enjoyed this hobby, even though I am red green blind, its a good job my good lady is always on hand to keep me right
where some colours are involved.



This is an oil on canvas, 8"x10",
with acknowledgements to Howard Terping one of my
favourite painters of Indians. the photo has come out a bit
light it is a shade or so darker in real life.
Of course I have not seen any real Indians, except when I was very little when my dad took me to a wild west show, I must have been about 6/7 yrs old we went back stage and I remember meeting some of the cowboys and Indians but I was very shy. and now its just a distant memory.








Here is another oil this time on a copper sheet  about 6 x 4
mounted on a veneered board, this time the photo came out
a lot truer in colour.
















This one is after Vermeer, the girl with a pearl earring,another of my favourite artists, it is oil on canvas 8 x10.
I have my own theory about the sitter I think it is one of his
daughters, not a servant, but then that's just my opinion.










A watercolour this time, with a view in
Sutherland, right in the north of Scotland where my family come from. Its about 12" x 16".








Just for a change this is a cup that I carved from some Sycamore, that was washed up on the beach where we live, it wasn't to hard to carve as it was still a bit green, the design was outlined with a veiner chisel then coloured with acrylic,
clear varnished on the outside and veg oil inside
the cup to waterproof , there are two, but have mislaid the other one, will photograph it when it turns up.

No comments:

Post a Comment